Frequently Asked Questions


Q: What training do I require?

A: As of July 1st, 2015, all new contract workers arriving at one of our Member Sites must, at a minimum, possess the following credentials in order to gain site access:

  • OSSA Basic Safety Orientation (OSSA-BSO2015)
  • -or-
  • OSSA Regional Orientation (ORO) and Construction Safety Training System (CSTS)

Other work-specific training may be required based on the work that you may be asked to do. Please check with your employer to find out if work-specific training is required. Additional training not contained within OSSA training may also be required.

OSSA Accredited Providers offer the following work-specific training:

  • Confined Space Entry and Monitor
    • Basic knowledge and proficiency in the identification and classification of Confined Spaces and in the identification of Restricted Spaces
  • Elevated Work Platform
    • Basic knowledge and proficiency in elevated work platform (also called “aerial work platform”) equipment use and theory
  • Fall Protection
    • Basic knowledge and proficiency in fall protection (also called “fall arrest” and “fall restrict”) equipment use and theory
  • Fire Watch
    • Basic level of knowledge and proficiency while performing Fire Watch duties and in the use of extinguishing equipment


Q: Who are the OSSA Member Sites?

A: The OSSA Member Sites are:

  • Canadian Natural Resources
  • Shell Albian Sands
  • Suncor Energy
  • Syncrude Canada


Q: I have similar training. Are there equivalencies for OSSA approved training?

A: No. All OSSA training is based on our internally developed Safety Training Standards which take into account provincial and federal requirements, as well as unique industry and regional requirements.


Q: What courses are currently approved by OSSA?

A: The following course(s) are approved to be offered by Licensed OSSA Training Providers:

  • Confined Space Entry and Monitor (CSE/M2010-Rev01)
  • Elevated Work Platform (EWP2010)
  • Fire Watch (FW2010)
  • Fall Protection (FP2010-Rev01)

The following course(s) are approved to be offered internally by our Member Sites:

  • Safe Work Permit (SWP2010)
  • Driving in the Mine (DIM2010-12RC)

The following course(s) are approved to be offered by Licensed OSSA Learning Providers:

  • Basic Safety Orientation (OSSA-BSO2015)


Q: What is the difference between a Training Provider and a Learning Provider?

A: A Training Provider submits an Administrative Application Package and, if approved, they receive a Certificate of License. The Provider can then proceed by submitting Training Programs that meet, or exceed, the minimum Standard as outlined in the respective Safety Training Standard. Once approved, the Provider will receive a Certificate of Accreditation for each Training Program.

A Learning Provider goes through a separate application process that is managed by both OSSA and Keyano College. If approved, the Provider receives a Certificate of License to provide the OSSA developed course(s). This course(s) is developed internally by OSSA, with input from stakeholders as necessary.


Q: When does my credential expire and when will I have to re-certify?

A: Each OSSA approved Safety Training Standard is unique. Please refer to the specific Standard for details on expiry and re-certification. This information can usually be found under either the “Re-Certification” or “Proficiency” headings within the respective Standard.

As a general rule, re-training should be completed every three (3) years.


Q: How do I confirm that a Provider is offering an OSSA Accredited course?

A: All OSSA Accredited Providers are listed on the Get Training Today page of the OSSA website. However, some Providers do offer training through third parties. If a training provider is not listed on the OSSA website, please confirm that they are an approved third party provider by contacting their respective OSSA Accredited Training Provider.

OSSA issues Certificates for Provider Licensing and each Program Accreditation.


Q: I’ve lost, misplaced, or had my Credential Card stolen. What should I do?

A: Contact your Provider immediately, so that your Credential can be annulled and any relevant records can be updated. Providers are responsible for issuing replacement Credential Cards for Confined Space Entry and Monitor, Elevated Work Platform, Fall Protection and Fire Watch.

For replacement Basic Safety Orientation credentials, please contact OSSA directly.

As of July 1st, 2015, all OSSA Credential Cards will contain a unique holographic Security Label. The only exception to this would be for OSSA Regional Orientation Credential Cards issued through to June 30, 2015.

NOTE: There may be a fee(s) associated with receiving a replacement Credential Card.


Q: Who do I contact to schedule training and what fees will I be charged?

A: OSSA Providers maintain their own schedules and set their own fees. You must contact them directly to schedule training and remit payments.

As of July 1st, 2015, OSSA will be issuing replacement Credential Cards for the Regional Orientation and Basic Safety Orientation. Contact OSSA to request a replacement for either of these Credential Cards.


Q: Will the training include a practical, proficiency, or test component?

A: Each OSSA approved Safety Training Standard is different. Please refer to the respective Standard for more information. All Standards and Codes can be found by visiting the Standards and Codes page of the OSSA website.


Q: Does OSSA offer individual Instructor Training, or a Train-the-Trainer program?

A: OSSA does not support Train-the-Trainer programs. Training Providers must individually submit the appropriate package to be approved to offer Instructor Training. To find out if a Provider has an approved Instructor Training program, you must contact the Provider directly.


Q: How do I find a list of Providers close to my location?

A: After visiting the Get Training Today page of the OSSA website and selecting the appropriate training link from the bottom of the page, you will be able to view the listings using Bing Maps. Above the contact information for the first Training Provider, there is a “map” button. By clicking this button, you will be able to view a map of training locations. To see a map of all Providers and locations, click here.


Q: How do I become an OSSA Accredited and Licensed Provider?

A: OSSA is not accepting any new Training Providers at this time. Any changes will be communicated through the OSSA website.

To become a Learning Provider for our Basic Safety Orientation, contact Keyano College at XXX-XXX-XXXX


Q: What is the difference between a Safety Training Standard (STS) and a Regional Code of Practice (RCOP)?

A: A Safety Training Standard clearly establishes the minimum acceptable content for training programs provided by Training Providers who have received Accreditation Status from the Oil Sands Safety Association (OSSA).

A Regional Code of Practice is a Code of Practice, endorsed by OSSA, governing the practices, procedures and standards, to be followed at each of the OSSA Owner respective sites. These Codes of Practice apply to all employees of Canadian Natural Resources, Shell Albian Sands, Suncor Energy, and Syncrude Canada, and their contractors, subcontractors and vendors.

Any changes or exceptions to Safety Training Standards and Regional Codes of Practice must be endorsed by the Board of Directors of OSSA.




Blue highlighted text requires a link to the referenced webpage.

Yellow highlighted text requires editing.